Sunday, August 29, 2010



I joined another site. So now I am a member of two, count them, TWO online dating sites. I still am having a hard time accepting that this is the only way for me to find romance. I expect that the rest of the world should have the same guttural feeling of- “oh my goodness, no! Isn’t there any other way?!?!” that I am having. I expect that when people find out I will be shunned. I expect them to look embarrassed, avoid eye contact, and change the subject.


But they don’t.

Every time I have “confessed” to a friend or co-worker the reaction is completely the opposite.

“Wow! Good for you for putting yourself out there! I’m so proud of you!”


Really????


Or there is a complete non-reaction. And lets be honest, I find the non reaction even more infuriating then if I was shunned and ridiculed.

“Oh. Cool. What are you having for lunch today?”


SO PEOPLE:

REACT WITH ME!!!

IT’S RIDICULOUS, SHAMEFUL, EVEN OBSCENE THAT I WOULD HAVE TO STOOP TO THIS LEVEL!!!


Isn’t it?...


But now I have new motivation.

Going into this venture, while completely mortified, I was also incredibly optimistic.

I thought to myself, “Finally, I am going to get my love live going!”

And now it has been 5 weeks, and I am so over it.

But I rediscovered an old flame in the process.

Writing.

I love it. And I love that you all love to read it.

My friend, Denise, said to me, “Linda, you’re using these poor boys!”


Yes.

Yes, I am.

I am exploiting every single one of them in this process.


But when I join a site and get handle names like this sending me “flirts” how can I help it?


  • alottabeef (raised on a farm loves horses occupation-agriculture/forestry)
  • porkchop
  • ilovethelord
  • balanceyourlife
  • obiphilkenobi (this one took me a minute to figure out...)
  • fun1slc
  • bluedragon
  • nomoviesonafirstdate (not the man for me, as that is a favorite activity)
  • swirlywonder (cannot figure out the meaning- unless he was bullied a lot?)
  • blahblahblahblah

THIS LAST ONE IS MY PERSONAL FAVORITE

  • Afrikid (the only black guy I’ve seen on the site)
Have a good week!! Here's a little something to entertain. It's been a long week, and I know sometimes we all just need to smile...
(for those less computer savvy- aka MOM- click on the picture- it's a link)

9 comments:

Kathy Benison said...

I can figure out "swirlywonder". It's a reference from an old Seinfeld episode. You don't want to date this guy.

Terese said...

This is so ridiculous that you are finding romance online!!! JK. I totally don't feel that way. I think it's cool because I've seen really good things happen to other people this way. It's better than meeting a guy at a bar!

hairofgold said...

Oh my goodness! So funny, I totally feel you there girl. I did it for a few months when I first moved here. Some of the best and worst dates of my life. My favorite is when they post pics of themselves that are 10 years old and now they are bald. Nothing wrong with that, just be honest. Although, you never know where love will get ya. Can't wait to hear more.

Heather said...

It is not ridiculous, shameful, or obscene. But it is dang entertaining. And I am so glad you re-discovered your love of writing. You really are so talented.

Ryan said...

Would you believe that I once dated a girl that I met online? (But Ryan, you're so well balanced, how can that be?!)

I did always feel funny explaining how we met, but over time I learned what's really important: that we didn't meet on World of Warcraft.

Now we shouldn't get hung up on whether or not I ended up marrying her, or whether or not she turned out to be a lesbian-- the point is… well. I forget what the point is.

You are a hilarious writer though, you should turn this into a book!

inkley boys said...

catching up on your blog and just smiling at your wonderfuly worded stories! love ya love ya love ya wish I had a brother for you, you would be the best sister inlaw ever!

Karen M. Peterson said...

It's a long story as to how I stumbled across this blog, but I'm pretty sure obiphilkenobi is my ex-boyfriend.

I am SO over online dating. That's all I have to say.

Anonymous said...

Can I legitimate hint what a relief to ascertain someone who really knows what theyre talking prevalent on the internet. You assuredly know how to report an issue to light and represent it important. More people impecuniousness to present this and understand this side of the story. I affectedness in youre not more in fashion because you plainly have the gift.
[IMG]http://www.sedonarapidweightloss.com/weightloss-diet/34/b/happy.gif[/IMG]

Kris said...

LOL ... Funny story - I'm doing an online job test and it's teaching me how to recognize spam .. so first, the last response you got on here was a spammer, computer generated nonsense. *Two* - I did a search for "swirlywonder" online and it brought me to your post - He's my ex husband (I was curious to find out what he's been up to lately... we were married for 7 years and have 2 kids together). So I know which sites you're referring to, and I can honestly tell you ... you're a smart girl for avoiding that one. LOL He wasn't necessarily bullied much growing up (but he DEFINITELY was a loner). For some strange reason, he REALLY just likes the term. I think he came up with it in high school? I can't remember, and it never even made any sense to me... but there's nothing really philosophical or meaningful behind it.(and it also doesn't have anything to do with Seinfeld. He hates Seinfeld. Maybe the person who introduced him to it was a Seinfeld fan) he just... likes swirly objects. Like I said, doesn't make much sense.