Saturday, August 21, 2010

Back To School

I’m seeing the hustle and bustle while everyone gets ready to start a new school year. Thinking back on my own schooling, I realize that my High School Dance experiences should have been clues that I would be in the predicament that I am today.


JUNIOR PROM:




Chris G.

He was incredibly smart, and a little bit smarmy, but always interesting. He made me feel special because he wouldn’t have taken an interest in me if he didn’t think I was a little smart as well. There were several times while with him that his high brow, intellectual humor would go completely over my head, but I would fake it and pretend I knew what in the world he was talking about.





He would, on occasion, drive me home from school.

I remember one such drive....


Chris: Are you going to Prom?

Me: No.

Chris: Do you want to go?

Me: I don’t know, I haven’t really thought about it. I guess if someone asked me...

Chris: I meant, do you want to go with me?

(yes, I am that dense...)

Me: ...Oh... OK... Sure...


And we went. I remember being nervous because what if he liked me in “that way” and I didn’t reciprocate? What would I do??

I shouldn’t have worried.

This is before my Gay-dar had been actualized.

Clues I shouldn’t have been worried:

  1. We were in Drama Club together
  2. He was an extra in Newsies.

SENIOR HOMECOMING:

Brian M.

My memories of the evening include:

  • It was a blind date- we had never seen or talked to each other before (and I don’t remember who even set us up or why??)
  • We went to dinner with a large group of people, and he didn’t sit by me
  • We never spoke more than a few words
  • He wore a spiked collar necklace at one point in the evening


SENIOR SADIE HAWKINS:

Me and my best friend, Jessica, asked 2 boys from our church to come with us. If I remember correctly, they were FRESHMAN at the time... (sadly, can’t find a picture...)



SENIOR PROM:


Nathaniel J.

He made me feel beautiful and he made me feel interesting and he made me feel talented- another Drama Geek, who was often my scene partner, he was in my Drama classes all 4 years. And yes, is now totally gay. He is currently doing some very cutting edge theater in San Francisco.






Fast Forward 15 years and here I am. Are you shocked that after one child, a spike wearing stranger, and going 2 for 2 with gay prom dates that I am now online seeking love?


p.s. College wasn't much better.. These were my 2 best friends that I hung out with the most....


I don't think I need to say any more. This picture pretty much says it all.

10 comments:

Terese said...

Haha! Love that last pic! I still think I have a faulty gay-dar.

Anonymous said...

You had to throw that last picture in, didn't you... Keep it coming! Catharine

Heather said...

Oh my gosh! I knew all of this, but love the way you tell it. Plus, I think that last picture does say it all.

Ryan said...

You know a suspiciously high percentage of the girls I dated turned out to be gay, too... Yes, I like Natalie Merchant and the Indigo Girls, that doesn't mean I'm a lesbian people!

Miranda said...

Haha Ryan what does that say about me? I love you linda! and I love those pictures!

Heather said...

It's okay, Ryan. I like Indigo Girls too--and Subaru hatchbacks. What does that say about Chris?

Heather said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
denise plant said...

I am so glad you still have the pictures! That makes it all the more entertaining! Those boys are missing out, I thought you looked so great in all of them! You are hilarious!

Unknown said...

Hey, Linda Marie...This is your mother speaking. Go girl. Keep on writing and keep a song in your heart!

Anonymous said...

If memory serves me correct, that blind date senior homecoming ended with a rousing game of cards in the cold of a backyard barn.