Monday, September 27, 2010

Liz Lemmon



Do you watch 30 Rock? 


Because if you do, you would understand how me and Liz Lemmon have many similarities, a fact pointed out to me on occasion by close friends. 


So I kind of have a fantasy of finding an Astronaut Mike Dexter on one of my web sites....So sue me....


You can look her up on Wikipedia and it says this:
"Liz is generally portrayed as something of a geek, so although apparently a skilled writer, she seems to have precious few social skills...
Jack has described her as "socially retarded." 
Liz has tried using Match.com to find a boyfriend. 
She does have some knowledge of cooking, though she admits to only using her oven to warm her jeans in the morning. 
It has become apparent that Lemon has very high standards in men, personified in her imaginary perfect husband, "Astronaut Mike Dexter".


Sound like anyone you know? It's like Tina Fey is watching me as she writes her scripts...


In the most recent episodes Liz Lemmon is dating none other than Matt Damon- who is playing a dazzling, albeit awkward, airline Pilot. 


So imagine my surprise and delight when, while sitting at the airport this evening to fly to Los Angeles and visit my sister, an incredibly good looking Pilot chose to sit by ME when waiting for the flight! 
There were many available seats, and even many seats that weren't by people. I also had my feet up on my suitcase, making quite the obstacle to be around me. He asked to step around it, then asked to sit by me. 
Well, Duh. 

He proceeded to pull out an iphone with a super cracked screen.
"Oh no! Your poor phone!" I said. (yes, be proud of me, trying to start up a conversation with the hot Pilot! Yet, I wonder if that wasn't the right approach, as I was obviously being very nosy, looking at what he was doing, and looking down at his phone while he was messing with it...) 


"Yes. Unfortunately, there isn't an app to fix this problem," he answered.
And he's FUNNY too!!! I mean, he's not going to host a special on Comedy Central, but I love stupid humor!
But all that followed this exchange was 


....silence....


I was about to give up on him. To completely immerse and lose myself in the latest issue of Entertainment Weekly. 


And then:


"So where are you headed?" he asked.
And we proceeded to have a very pleasant conversation.
But then he inexplicably, and somewhat abruptly got up, said excuse me, and walked over towards the flight attendant desk, never to be seen or heard from again. 


Yet I feel, that in true Liz Lemmon/Linda Marie form, he may have sensed my anxiety/geekishness when it comes to talking to strangers, especially good looking ones who seek me out. 


Perhaps it was when I asked him if he was a flight attendant? (and I asked this while desperately trying to read his badge, so I know I had a squinty awful expression when I said it.)


Perhaps it was my telling him what a nervous flyer I am? (after stumbling over lame questions about Pilot school...)


Perhaps it was when I told him I sit around on planes, discerning from the other passengers who will be good support in the event the plane goes down? (a side effect of too much LOST viewing.)


He said he was a LOST fan too! That he couldn't wait to get the latest season on DVD!

Perhaps, then, I got a little too nerdy and excited when I started talking about the exclusive content filmed just for the DVD showing Hurley and Ben as island protectors and how I couldn't wait to see it? 


That was when he got up. 


Maybe he hadn't watched Season 6 yet, and didn't know the ending?


SO- if any of you know a Pilot that works for US Airways, is stationed out of Dallas, but lives in Salt Lake City, and has LOST Season 6 in his Netflix queue, can you tell him that Linda is looking for him so she can stop suffering through these ridiculous online dating sites? 





4 comments:

Terese said...

Dang it! He must have run out of stuff to say and got nervous. I think deep down every guy wants a Liz Lemmon. Ask Josh!

Ryan said...

Jack used to take flights to Australia and back again hoping the same thing would happen to him. Maybe you should start taking weekend flights to Dallas.

Heather said...

Don't let Nate/Jack Donaghy read this. You will never hear the end of it. I am ironically watching 30 Rock right now. I love you and Liz Lemon. And I am trying to find you your very own Carol right here in Santa Monica so you will move close to me.

P.S.--If you are Liz and Nate is Jack, I think Chris is Kenneth. :)

The Wiseman Life said...

lol oh Linda Marie you are hilarious. You should have just asked him if you could get his email/phone number to maybe bother him for an unused buddy pass that all pilots have and can't even give away to people....
I love Liz Lemon...although you are much much nicer and a better boss! :)