Sunday, May 6, 2012

Have You Heard This One?



Two gay guys and a Mormon walk into a Cracker Barrel...
Heard this joke before? 
No? 
Well, the punch-line of the joke has the Mormon girl re-joining a dating site.
Again.
On and off, back and forth.
My last foray was the end of last year. It didn’t yield great results (translation- it didn’t yield ANY results.) So I gave it up in December.
To say that 2012 thus far has been jam packed and emotion filled would be a gross understatement. 
And being online is akin to a part time job. You must invest A LOT of time and emotional energy to make it successful. Which I have not had. Which is why, thus far this year, I have abstained.
But then I went to dinner with some dear friends of mine.
To the Cracker Barrell. (Where they list Mac and Cheese in their “veggie” section! And, what?!? Fried Okra as a side!?! Yes, Please!!).
And me and these amazing fellas started talking about relationships, dating, etc. 
One of them said that they are happy just playing the field. That they aren’t looking for anything serious.
Another friend of ours said that they were okay just being alone and using their own time how they want. 
And I told them that I have friends who are married, multiple kids, crazy schedules, and I hear them say they just wished they had more time for themselves. 
But me? I am so sick of myself. Me, Myself, and I have spend the last decade getting to know each other really well. We spend a lot of time together. 
We’ve spent the last 2 hours watching saved episodes of Community from my DVR and plan to spend the next hour watching Friends reruns on Nick at Nite. 
We do things like this a lot. 
And I am so ready to not have so much time for me.  
This isn’t a new revelation. I just hadn’t thought about it for awhile. 
And so I left the Cracker Barrell full of okra, biscuits, and old fashioned candy, and went home and signed myself up. 
I hate it just as much as before. And still haven’t had a lot of time for it.  
It’s like McDonalds commercials trying to convince you that people actually love going to McDonalds. I try to convince myself that this is a great process.
But the thing is, I do enjoy a McDonals cheeseburger now and again- hold the pickles, and I’d be lying if I said I didn’t love their fries. So maybe it isn’t all bad. 
And maybe I’ll have some good stories to share.
And maybe I’ll find the love of my life.
I think the former is more likely than the latter. 
But at least that’s something.

2 comments:

Terese said...

Go Linda! I just met a girl who is engaged from meeting a guy on eharmony. Do they match people up better there??

robin marie said...

you are brave linda! i am sending you positive good luck vibes! and i would second terese - i remember once at the gym when i was single the lady on the treadmill next to me was telling me all about how i needed to get on eharmony. i told her i was mormon and that didn't phase her. she said you can select all those things and search with your selections... but maybe you already knew that!