Saturday, January 8, 2011

Join me, Won't you?

Now it has come to my attention that I have inspired several other ladies to join online dating sites as well.   
I am amazed that I could influence anyone for anything. Usually I’m the one following the crowd. So I must be painting a picture that is pretty amazing. 
And I’m not sure how that happened.
Because ladies, if you are going to do this thing, you need to know what you are getting yourselves into.
Lest you forget, joining these sites has had me in these situations, or hearing these statements: (some you may remember, and some are new tidbits, but ALL are absolutely true)
  • lost in the woods in the middle of the night and ignored
  • “If we had sex you would get pregnant because I’m really potent”
  • Gay, gay,  and gay
  • “I have died 4 times, but have yet to remain dead”
  • On his way to buy guns late at night in a parking lot from someone’s truck
  • Didn’t grow from the time he was 2 until he was 17.
Just to name a few...
So ladies- 

Why are you wanting to get involved in this?  
What is it about my experiences that leads you to believe you will find love?
This is my advice. 

If you are looking for a great conversation piece, if you are looking for some great stories, if you are a person that sees life for how absurd it really is and can still just roll with the punches, then yes. Sign up. 
It is absolutely exhausting and ridiculous...

But I am still hopeful. I am still on the sites. I am still sending emails. I am still going on dates. 
So maybe it is absurd, but maybe I keep hoping it wont be. And for all of you that are new to the experience, I am hoping it wont be for you either. 

3 comments:

Karen M. Peterson said...

Your stories remind me of why I stopped trying the online dating thing. And I don't miss it at all.

Anonymous said...

Linda you crack me up! I love reading your blog! And I miss my cousin!!! I am coming to Utah in May so maybe if we plan NOW we can see each other????

Park City Chica said...

Linda,

So let me share some of mine:

I'm kind of put off by women with big breasts

I don't think I could go out with a woman who works - it's too intimidating

What color are you

I'm really looking for someone younger because I really want to have children (he was 58 and I was 45).

I thought your legs were longer

I'm really looking for someone over 40 who is still a virgin

I've been married three times but have never really had sex

and so it goes

Once after emailing back and forth I agreed to meet this man for lunch at Olive Garden. He was
"48" and a retired football player. I got there a little early and ended up sitting next to an older gentleman (at least late 60's) and talking. I noticed that it was about 20 minutes later than we were supposed to meet so I excused myself and called my date. All of the sudden the elderly man's phone started ringing and he picked up. He was my date. When I confronted him about the fake picture on his profile and the lie about his age he insisted he didn't do anything wrong. What did he think???? That I wouldn't notice that he had aged overnight??

Having said all of that, I met Chris on line (Match.com) and he made it all worthwhile. Besides - as bad as it is it is so much better than singles dances!

Katie