Friday, October 22, 2010

ANTICIPATION



My Dad would always say that the best part of something was the anticipation for it. The anxious waiting, the daydreaming about the event, the planning and primping that goes into it. He believed that was a part of the whole experience, and enhanced the overall effect of whatever the occasion was.

I am mindful of that as I wait for my date tomorrow. 

I don’t know much about this guy, but we have emailed back and forth every day for over a week. I know that he has a graduate degree (in what, I have no idea), I know that he had a Lord of the Rings marathon last Saturday (yes, total nerd!), I know that he worked at Subway in Heber when he was 16 (I can't judge. I was at Del Taco). 
Random things. 
He sent me this about Harry Potter: 
(he wrote it awhile ago)
Top Ten Shocking Revelations in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
10) Harry realizes the past year of his life was just a dream, when he
wakes up one morning to find Dumbledore taking a shower in the
prefects’ bathroom.
9) Peeves? Gay as a French horn…
8) James Potter left his invisibility cloak in Dumbledore’s possession
merely as collateral for his massive gambling debts.
7) To open the locked room at the Ministry of Magic, one need only
sing the lyrics of a specific Huey Lewis & The News song.
6) In a Fight Club-like twist, Harry finally recognizes that Ron and
Hermione don’t actually exist, except in his mind. Go back and look at
the clues. It makes complete sense, I swear…
5) Dumbledore’s implicit trust of Snape stems mainly from Snape never
giving away that Dumbledore was a big Air Supply fan.
4) Wormtail ate all the Cracklin’ Oat Bran! I thought I smelled a rat…
3) Mistakenly convinced R.A.B. stands for “Raymond Burr”, Harry spends
his entire summer watching old Perry Mason TV movies, but ironically,
in doing so he discovers the vital clue to finishing his quest.
2) Though relieved to find out he is not one of Voldemort’s horcruxes,
Harry is soon dismayed to learn he is in fact housing the soul of
Peter Tork. (had to look this one up- Peter Tork was in the Monkees)
1) A dying Snape, defeated at the hands of Harry, utters his ominous
final words: “Fifty points… from Gryffindor…”
I mean really. Are you laughing hysterically? Because I was.

So here I am in anticipation of meeting him in person.

I can really understand why the Victorian era was able to maintain these sordid love affairs via letters. Because I’ve really enjoyed our emails. 

But what if I don’t really enjoy him?

Which then begs the question- is it these guys I’m going out with that have the problem, or is it me?...

Stay tuned...

5 comments:

jocie said...

An HP fan with a graduate degree is promising. Fingers crossed...

Kathy B. said...

OMG, he has a sense of humor and he writes like you! This may be a "meeting of the minds" AND a love match. Your loyal blog fans will be awaiting your report...... our anticipation :)

Kristin said...

I'm getting butterflies FOR you. I can't wait to hear, and I really hope hope hope that it's a good one! P.S. I laughed out loud at your last post. Wheezy Hotpots!!! haha hahahah

Karen M. Peterson said...

Well, a guy that loves Harry Potter and has LOTR marathons can't be all bad. You might end up not being interested in dating him, but he could turn out to be a great person to hang out with. Just have an open mind and don't worry about what happens past tomorrow night.

Terese said...

This guy definitely sounds more intelligent than the last. Witty, even. Good luck on the date! I'll be thinkin' of you.