Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Dodgers and Journey and other things



Please, hit play while you read this for an incredibly interactive experience...

People are so well intended when they talk to me about being single. 

I know they mean well. 

I do.

But sometimes, their well intended remarks are not that helpful. 

Take this example:
I was recently talking to my sister about the general frustrations of my current predicament. I was telling her that it is so frustrating, that I’m fed up, that I put it out to the Universe that I wanted a man, but that I’m ready to take it all back because it drives me crazy, and nothing is happening. 

My sister said, “Linda! You can’t give up!!” 
And then started singing a lovely (hehe) rendition of Journey’s “Don’t Stop Believin’”.

“It’s like the Dodgers game we went to!” She said. 
And she told me this story...
Her and her husband had attended a Dodgers game last Spring. They live in LA, and thought it would be a fun local thing to participate it. Regardless of the fan enthusiasm, the team was losing, and losing badly. So finally, after the 7th inning stretch, they decided it was time to leave, as the ending was inevitable. 
They got up and were walking towards the exit, when they passed a little man, decked out in full Dodgers regalia, standing on his seat, and singing at the top of his lungs, “DON’T STOP BELIEVING!...HOLD ON TO THIS FEE-EE-EEELING!!”  
He made eye contact with them, and said, “Don’t leave! Don’t stop believing!!” and continued to sing the song, while dancing and waving his giant foam finger. 
But they had a baby sitter to get home to, and didn’t think there was any hope at all, and  so they continued to leave the stadium, with the man singing behind them, fading into the background. 

“Wow!” I said to her. “So the Dodgers ended up winning the game?”  Because isn’t that where one would assume this motivational story is headed?

“Well, no,” she said. “...They lost horribly.”

“That is THE worst story I’ve ever heard!” I yelled at her. “Why would you tell me that story? The team LOST!”
“But the little guy didn’t give up!”

“But they LOST!”

“Yeah... They did. But it is just such a good song!”
So I think the moral of this story is you can get through anything in life if you have the right music playing in the background. Perhaps Journey wouldn't be your first choice. 
But really, it is just such a good song...

2 comments:

robin marie said...

oh. my. gosh. i was totally expecting the same outcome as you! that is hilarious.

Terese said...

music is such therapy. definitely. I wish the dodgers won, though.