Wednesday, April 6, 2011

And now, for my next trick... I will DISAPPEAR!!


You haven’t heard from me for awhile.


Forgive me.

While it may seem that perhaps I was completely fed up with the whole thing, consider this 2nd option- perhaps it was just an elaborate demonstration of a strange phenomenon that happens in the online dating world.

The Disappearing Act. 

This has happened many many times.
Here are some examples of the Deapearing Act:
I had an email exchange with one fellow. In his 3rd email he said, “It seems like we have a lot in common. I would love to meet you in person and get to know you better.” I responded with a, “Great!” and gave my phone number and real email address, saing I hoped to hear from him soon. Then...Didn’t hear from him... Didn’t hear from him... A week went by. So I went to his profile to send him another email- a kind of a last attempt nudge. And his profile no longer existed. Poof! he was gone, never to be heard from again.
Another one, asked if I was on Facebook. He friended me (which means he could read this post and maybe GET A CLUE!) but then never communicated with me again. No more emails, no Facebook chats, not so much as a “like” on a status update.
One of them would chat me up on the dating site’s Instant Messaging feature all the time, friended me on Facebook, played multiple games of Words With Friends with me, got my number and texted me multiple times, but never actually spoke to me in real life, and never said he wanted to meet me. This went on for weeks. And then all of a sudden- silence. No texts, games, IM’s- nothing.

The most recent one had my number. We had emailed a ton, we had talked on the phone, and we even had plans to meet. But then he had to go out of town for work, so we couldn't go out. I expected that he would call me when he got back into town, but a week went by with no contact. So I sent him a text. He was in California for work, and had said previously that he wasn't that impressed with the state as a whole. (strike #1)
But lets be honest, in my case beggers can't be choosers. 
So I texted him and said, "Did CA swallow you up? Or perhaps you realized the benefits of CA and decided to stay there forever?" 
Which he should absolutely know is code for, "Hey, I haven't heard from you since you got back. Are we ever going out?" 

Am I right?

His response: "The benefits of CA could include free chocolate for life, and I still wouldn't want to live there. The main problem is the state is full of Californians ;)"(strike 2 for sure!!)

And I haven't hear from him since. (strike 3!!!)
These examples don’t even count the many one timers- I get one email from them, reply, and then there is never a response. 
It is very mysterious, this disappearing act, and I have yet to figure out the reason for this dark magic. 

But do not fret. 


My demonstration is over.
My disappearing act is done.


I will now take a bow, and move on to my next trick...   

4 comments:

Ryan said...

Oh no are you going to saw Manny in half?!

Unknown said...

Can't think of anything as clever as Ryan's comment... I'm sure you heard about what was said at Priesthood in Conference. I'm dying to know if that cuts down the disappearing acts for you! Fingers crossed!

Terese said...

oops! That last one was me!

hairofgold said...

So what if they do "like" a status? Is that a good thing?